fredag 9. august 2013

Chicago day 2.



For my second day (Aug 7th) I decided to concentrate on the area around Millennium park. But first I started my day with getting a manicure. While I was drying my nails it started poring down outside and I had to wait it out a little.  When it cleared up I had brunch at Yolk, potato pancakes. 


The Jan Pritzker pavilion is designed by Frank Gehry. The pavilion´s state-of-the-art acoustic system is suspended above the audience areas by an overhead trellis of criss-crossing steel pipes. The pavilion seats over 11,000 people and is home to free concerts and performances throughout the summer months. 




You can just see a little bit of the Cloud gate sculpture here to the right. It is also commonly known as "the Bean". The sculpture is designed by Anish Kapoor. It is an incredible highly-polished stainless steel sculpture. The sculpture was so much fun I had to make an extra post for it! 







The crown fountain is designed by Jaume Plensa and was inspired by the people of Chicago. Faces appear via LED display on the 50-foot tall glass block towers. 








The Art Institute of Chicago. 











The Buckingham fountain. 




Only when I got back to the hotel did I realize that I had forgotten to look at my map and the walking tour called "A postcard perspective". Of the 11 stops it mentioned I had only seen 5, and I did not go to the top of the Willis tower either, as it suggested. I saved that for the next day! 
When I go back I will have to look out for the next 6!! 





Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar